Lao Tzu Quotes Audio File
Get advantage of this collection of Lao Tzu quotes that will guide you to a more meaningful life.
Lao Tzu is a Chinese philosopher who wrote the Tao Te Ching, a work of great importance in the Taoist tradition. Taoism, which emphasizes living in harmony with the universe, is thought to have been founded by Lao Tzu.
If you want to learn more about Lao Tzu’s teachings and philosophy, this collection of Lao Tzu quotes is for you!
Check out the complete list here.
Also, please read Sun Tzu quotes for more inspiration.
Great Lao Tzu Quotes and Ideas to Share With Your Friends
1. “New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings.”
2. “He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.”
3. “I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures.”
4. “Make your heart like a lake with a calm still surface and great depths of kindness.”
5. “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
6. “Stop leaving and you will arrive. Stop searching and you will see. Stop running away and you will be found.”
7. “A journey of a thousand li starts beneath one’s feet.”
8. “Manifest plainness, embrace simplicity, reduce selfishness, have few desires.”
9. “Begin your task before it becomes a burden. Put things in order before they get out of hand.”
10. “Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power.”
Inspirational Lao Tzu Quotes to Live By
11. “If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve.”
12. “Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.”
13. “The soft overcomes the hard, and the weak the strong.”
14. “The highest virtue is to act without a sense of self. The highest kindness is to give without condition. The highest justice is to see without preference.”
15. “When you are content to be simply yourself and don’t compare or compete, everyone will respect you.”
16. “Because one believes in oneself, one doesn’t try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn’t need others’ approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her.”
17. “By letting it go it all gets done. The world is won by those who let it go. But when you try and try, the world is beyond winning.”
18. “The difficult problems in life always start off being simple. Great affairs always start off being small.”
Thought-Provoking Lao Tzu Quotes
19. “Watch your thoughts, they become your words; watch your words, they become your actions; watch your actions, they become your habits; watch your habits, they become your character; watch your character, it becomes your destiny.”
20. “Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will be blunt.”
21. “If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.”
22. “The truth is not always beautiful, nor are beautiful words the truth.”
23. “Whether you’re a gem in the royal court or a stone on the common path if you accept your part with humility the glory of the universe will be yours.”
24. “All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small.”
25. “Hope and fear are both phantoms that arise from thinking of the self. When we don’t see the self as self, what do we have to fear?”
26. “If we could renounce our sageness and discard our wisdom, it would be better for the people a hundredfold.”
Lao Tzu Quotes and Advice for Living a More Fulfilling Life
27. “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”
28. “If I had just a little bit of wisdom I should walk the great path and fear only straying from it.”
29. “The key to growth is the introduction of higher dimensions of consciousness into our awareness.”
30. “Life and death are one thread, the same line viewed from different sides.”
31. “One who lives in accordance with nature does not go against the way of things. He moves in harmony with the present moment always knowing the truth of just what to do.”
32. “Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them—that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.”
33. “The hard and mighty lie beneath the ground. While the tender and weak dance on the breeze above.”
34. “People in their handlings of affairs often fail when they are about to succeed. If one remains as careful at the end as he was at the beginning, there will be no failure.”
35. “Be content, rest in your own fullness—you will not suffer from loss, you’ll avoid the snare of this world, you’ll have a long life and endless blessings.”
Lao Tzu Quotes You Should Know Before Falling in Love
36. “Because of a great love, one is courageous.”
37. “Surrender your self-interest. Love others as much as you love yourself. Then you can be entrusted with all things under heaven.”
38. “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
39. “He who defends with love will be secure; heaven will save him, and protect him with love.”
40. “Love is of all the passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart, and the senses.”
Which of These Lao Tzu Quotes Resonated With You the Most?
Do you know someone who is looking for direction in their life? Share these Lao Tzu quotes with them to brighten their day and help them live a meaningful life.
Which of these Lao Tzu quotes do you find the most inspiring? Please include them in the comments section.